Experienced Ruby on Rails Developer
- Full Time
SimplePay and Our Approach to Development
SimplePay is an online payroll software for South Africa, Ireland, Singapore and Hong Kong. Our software lets thousands of small business owners (and their accountants) run their payrolls accurately, without headaches, so they can focus on the challenge of building their businesses. You can find out more about the team here and about the technical side of the business on the developer blog, here.
We love solving problems our customers face as well as those we face internally with good code. That is why our founder, a developer himself, started the company and is still involved in improving the software every day.
Do you recognise that not all pages need client-side rendering, but would enjoy digging into Vue.js for pages that will benefit from the increased interactivity? Do you laugh when people give up the power of PostgreSQL in favour of data stores that don't offer any benefits for their use case? If so, you may fit in well with our mindset. We use proven infrastructure and frameworks, so that we can focus on well-designed code. We have excellent test coverage and all PRs have to pass CI before merging.
You’ll be part of a culture of constant feedback and improvement. If you like the thought of continual growth as a developer (non-technical skills included), you’ll be right at home.
You are the owner of the features you implement and the bugs you fix, and you will be responsible for pulling people in at different stages of the development process, from working with a business analyst on improving the UI design to providing input into the training materials created for end users. All your PRs will be reviewed and discussed. Collaboration is key for us.
Summary of the Role
- Ruby on Rails (we mostly do work on the back-end)
- PostgreSQL (mostly through ActiveRecord, but raw SQL queries do come in handy sometimes)
- Others: Sorbet, Jenkins, AWS, S3, Sentry, Vue.js where it makes sense
Due to our full pipeline, we are ideally looking to hire developers who have at least five (5) years of software development experience in Ruby, or highly experienced polyglots who at least know some Ruby.
That said, if you fit the rest of the bill and are keen to learn Ruby and Rails while contributing meaningfully to our clients and working with a dedicated and passionate bunch of people, this could be a good fit for you.
The work will include
- Doing direct integrations with other systems (including governments and hopefully banks in the future).
- Expanding our API for other systems to integrate with us.
- Technical design and implementation of new features.
- Optimising for performance.
- Squashing bugs.
- Improving security.
No location, fully remote within the UTC+0 to UTC+8 timezones.
In the "Additional Details" section of your application, please include:
- The time zone in which you reside,
- A link to a PR created or an issue logged for an open source project, and
- Tell us why you would like to join SimplePay specifically.